Sunday, December 31, 2017

A Year Spent with You - -2017 in review

"On Mayne Island amidst the Holiday lights at the Japanese Gardens" by ldyck

At the end of each section, I leave hints on how to use the information I provide.

Most Popular Posts Published in 2017

Canadian Literary Prizes:  write and read (380 page views)
in which I list the winners of the Rogers' Trust, GG, and the Giller

A Star (short story) (368 page views)
inspired by my experiences as a dyslexic elementary school student

Quilt Diva (a true story) (290 page views)
how a knitter wound up walking in a parade as a quilter

After 7 years, why keep writing? (250 page views)
I created this blog 7 years ago. I explain why I'm still writing.

Byron did:  in praise of poetry (220 page views)
further explanation not required

About dyslexia (211 page views)
further explanation not required

Bloggers: take inspiration from my most popular posts to write your own web content.


Books Reviewed in 2017

(This slow reader reviewed 15 books this year. Wow! I doubt I'll repeat that number in 2018)

All Fall Down by Jennifer Weiner 
Fiction
an alcoholic's story

Fifteen Dogs by Andre Alexis
Speculative Fiction
The Greek Gods give human intelligence to fifteen dogs

Note to Self by Laurie Buchanan
Self Help
Unpack your baggage and become your best self

The Wonder by Emma Donoghue
Historical Fiction
A girl is reported to be exciting on manna alone--but how

The Lotterys Plus One by Emma Donoghue
Middle Grade Fiction
A happy family of misfits

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time 
by Mark Haddon
Fiction
A character sketch of a person with a neurological disorder.

Are You Seeing Me? by Darren Groth
Middle Grade Fiction
After their father's death, twins travel from Australia to Canada. One of the twins has a neurological disorder.

13 Ways of Looking at a Fat Girl by Mona Awad
Fiction
further explanation not required

Short by Holly Goldberg Sloan
Middle Grade Fiction
an exploration of being short in stature

Nine Stories by J.D. Salinger
Short Story Collection
further explanation not required

The Break by Katherena Vermette
Fiction
exploration of the victim -- the abuser

Nation by Terry Pratchatt
Young Adult reads like Speculative Fiction
exploration of building community

The Only Child by Andrew Pyper
Horror
which is worse -- the evil "other" or the evil inside us?

Pride by Robin Stevenson
Non-fiction
A celebration of the gay community

Son of a Trickster by Eden Robinson
Magical Realism
the effect of the residential school system on three generations of Aboriginal Canadians

Readers:  If you click the link for each book you'll be able to read the reviews--including where to buy the book.


Guest Posts

This year I interviewed four children's authors--Linda Marshall (Rainbow Weaver), Dr. Sigal Haber (Chuck the Rooster Loses his Voice), Pam Withers (Tracker's Canyon), and Maxine Sylvester (Ronaldo:  The Reindeer Flying Academy)--and author of the popular blog Tuesdays with Laurie, Laurie Buchanan (Self Note). I also shared some of my dad's--A. J. Willetts--writing with you. (I'm thrilled that my dad's post drew a "wopping" 481 page views.)

Writers:  Reading the guest posts will give you helpful tips on how to kickstart your author career. 

Thank you for spending 2017 with me. I hope you enjoyed our time together. I look forward to sharing 2018 with you.




Next post:  

Published on Sunday, January 7, 2017 2018
at approximately 5 PM PST
Writing:  right foot forward
if you like me need a little pep talk to start your year here it is.