Sunday, March 15, 2015

The musical (writing game) by Leanne Dyck

I've been playing this game for many years. When did I start, was I a teenager or younger? Did a Language Arts teacher introduce the game to me or...? I'm not sure.

By playing this game, you'll learn how to develop a plot. You'll learn how to take your characters from the first scene to the end of the play.

Chose a song from your favourite genre and band. A good source of songs is songbooks (go figure)--especially ones with old or traditional songs. Use the entire song or only a few lines. Once you've selected the songs--or parts of songs--string them together to form a story. Don't hesitate to rewrite the song--if necessary.



(selfie by Leanne Dyck)

Inspired by Celtic music, I created a four-scene musical.

Three actors:  an older woman, a younger woman, and a man
Costume:   The women wear worn clothing -- think old Irish dress--long skirts and shawls.  The man wears a suit jacket with a knit vest and high, leather boots. 
Prop:  rocking chair

Scene I

three actors on stage
The two women stand together, stage left. 
The man is at stage right.

A fiddle and tin whistle playing in the background.

The older woman pushes the younger woman to the centre stage. 

The younger woman dances as the older woman sings...





Step it up, Mary, my fine daughter
Step it up, Mary, if you can
Step it up, Mary, my fine daughter
Show your legs to the countryman
Show your legs to the countryman

The man steps forward and sings...


Her eyes, they shone like the diamonds
I thought she was queen of the land
And her hair hung over her shoulder
Tied up with a black velvet band

(photo by Leanne Dyck)

Scene II

two actors on stage:  the man and the young woman
The man kneels and takes the young woman's hand
He sings...


And it's no, neigh, never (he slaps his knee 3 times)
No, neigh, never, no more
Will I play the wild rover
No never, no more

(photo by Leanne Dyck)

Scene III

the man wears a morning coat
the young woman wears a veil

three actors on stage:  the man and the two women

the man and the younger woman stand centre stage
the older woman stands stage left and sings...



He whistled and he sang 'til the green woods rang
And he won the heart of my baby

(photo by Leanne Dyck)

Scene IV


young woman, centre stage, on rocking chair, blanket in arms (as if holding a baby) sings...


Too-ra-loor-ra-loor-ra, Too-ra-loor-ra-li
Too-ra-loor-ra, hush now, don't you cry
Too-ra-loor-ra-loor-ra, Too-ra-loor-ra-li
Too-ra-loor-ra, that's an Irish lullaby

fade to black




Sharing my author journey...
I prepared five submissions last week. One of the key components of these submissions was a word or two about how I was going to help market the published book. I've found that the most effective marketing tool can have is word of mouth. (And the more word of mouths you have the better.) One of the best ways to generate this word of mouth is by partnering with a group of like-minded people. So, after much (fun) research, I wrote a list of the organizations that I felt would be interested in reading my book and would want others to read it as well. I included this list in my submission package.

"Fist Snail of the Year"
(photo by Leanne Dyck)