Monday, January 14, 2013

Knitting: team worsted weight by Leanne Dyck (humour)

My favourite weight of yarn is worsted weight...



Most of the knitting patterns I've designed are worked on 4.50 mm/US 7/UK 7 (or the needle size you require to obtain the proper tension).


Why this needle size?

Knitting needles do come in other sizes.

Some knitters enjoy using a smaller size of needle.


I've tried knitting with smaller needles--2 mm/US 0/UK 14. But it wasn't fun. I felt like I was a giant knitting with my fingertips.

Small needles require good eyesight, patience and lots of yarn.

Take it from me, knitters who knit with small needles are strange ducks. Instead of worsted weight yarn, they knit with fingering or baby weight yarn. Their favourite pass-time is cloud watching. Their favourite saying is, "Relax! I'll get it done.'

Some knitters enjoy using a larger size of needle.


I've tried knitting with larger needles--10 mm/US 15/UK 000. But it wasn't fun. It was awkward. Working these monsters required whole arm movements.

Let me tell you, knitters who knit with large needles are weird. Instead of worsted weight they knit with bulky yarn. Their favourite pass-time is race car driving. Their favourite saying is, 'Are we there yet?'

Trust me, it's best to stick with 4.50 mm/US 7/UK 7 (or the needle size you require to obtain the proper tension).



Worsted weight yarn is available in a variety of fibres both animal (wool, etc.) and plant (hemp, etc.) produced as well as man-made (acrylic). I usually use yarn that contains at least some acrylic.


Today's post was brought to you curious of the right side of my brain and does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions held by the left side of my brain. : ) 
***
Next post:  Are you called to write?