Friday, November 23, 2012

Leanne Dyck's author interview

A friend recently said, "Leanne, I think you should start doing interviews."

Inspired by this comment, I offer this post...

Have I been interviewed?

Yup. I've been interviewed in The Mayne Liner Magazine (Mayne Island's monthly magazine), 



Aqua:  Gulf Islands Living (the Southern Gulf Island's quarterly magazine), 



The Island Independent (the Southern Gulf Island's newspaper)



The Interlake Spectator (Manitoba's Interlake regional newspaper)

and online by other authors. I answered questions such as...

When did you first realize you were destined to be an author?

I realized I wanted to be an author in my teens. However, instead of pursuing this goal, I built an ever-growing list of reasons why I could never fulfill this dream.

Until…

In an attempt to attract surfers to my knitwear design website, I began featuring short stories on my blog. I got more hits from these stories than any other post.

Even though, I didn’t know I was an author my readers did.

What do you consider the most important elements of good writing?

As a writer, I enter into a contract with my reader. It is my responsibility to entertain. If I deliver, the reader agrees to keep reading.



Any additional advice for those who are still unpublished?

 Make a daily commitment to write, read and work on your business. Believe in the power of your words and others will as well.

Tell us a bit about your book--something you wouldn't find in the blurb.

Something you won’t find in the blurb, eh? Well, how about this. The Sweater Curse could serve as your introduction to the rich Icelandic-Canadian culture.

What would constitute your own personal happily ever after?

Living on a beautiful island, daily engaged in my passion, I think I may be living my happy ending.

Have you ever battled with any of your characters over their personality traits?  If so, who won – you or the character?

I have. They won. It is, after all, their story.

Prior to becoming a published author, how many rejections did you receive?  How did you handle the rejections?

A rejection isn’t necessarily a devaluation of the story, but rather, sometimes, simply, a declaration of lack of fit. This lacking may be due to a variety of reasons.
It is my job as a writer to craft a quality manuscript and to market it effectively. All I need to find is one yes. Rejection may guide me in this process.
The old maxim rings true—every no brings you closer to a yes.

Do you consider yourself a plotter or a pantser?

I’m a flexible plotter.
In my teens, I wrote never-ending stories. Fearful of similar outcomes, I like to start with a plan. My muse grants me permission to change this plan as often as I wish.