Monday, September 12, 2011

Queen Anne's Lace scarf pattern by Leanne Dyck

Inspiration for this scarf came from...
(Queen Anne's Lace)

Finished scarf measures 50 inches long by 6 inches wide.

Knitting needles:  5mm/ US 8/UK 6
Yarn:  worsted weight yarn approximately 210 yards (less or more depending on desired length and width of scarf) I used Kraemer Yarns' Summit Hill (100% Merino Superwash Wool)


Stitch pattern:
seed stitch (over an even number of stitches)
Row 1:  knit one, purl one--to end of row
Row 2:  purl one, knit one--to end of row
Repeat rows 1 and 2 for pattern

Cast on 26 stitches
Work in seed stitch for one inch
Double wrap stitches
Work in seed stitch for 4 rows
Double wrap stitches
Work to desired length.
Double wrap stitches
Work in seed stitch for 4 rows
Double wrap stitches
Work in seed stitch for one inch
Cast off
Weave in ends
Determining the length of a scarf
Based on your height and how you will be wearing the scarf. For example, I'm five foot five and plan to wear this scarf with one end flipped to the back--no wrapping it around my neck twice. I continued knitting until the scarf measured fifty inches.
As I knit, I coil the scarf around my neck this helps me determine the length of my scarf.

Width
Ideally for a scarf, I recommend casting on no fewer than twenty and no more than forty stitches.

How-to double wrap stitches