Friday, September 30, 2011

Please welcome author Amber Harvey

How/why did you start to write?
One summer, when I was around eleven, my friends were away and I was bored. Since my parents didn't believe children had to be entertained, I was left to sort out this problem for myself. An avid reader, my mind was always filled with stories, and having access to a notebook, a fountain pen, and some wildly exciting red ink, I began to write.


How did you become an author?
If an author is someone who is paid for their writing work, I guess it was when I started writing for a seniors' magazine, in my fifties. If it's someone who's published, I guess it was when Peter Gzowski chose one of my letters to publish in his The Fourth Morningside Papers.


How long ago?
That was 1991, or 20 years ago.


What did you do before embarking on your writing career? Was it an asset to your writing? How?
I have taught school for around 20 years, have been a counsellor for 15 years, and have been a parent for a total of 75 years (35 + 40). I was also a child, and that's mostly what I write about.


What inspires you?
I'm inspired by life and its challenges, especially those faced by young people.


Parting words
My parting words are, if you love to write, write.

Books by Amber Harvey
 (from right to left) Magda's Mayne Island Mystery, Mayne Island Aliens, Mayne Island Skeltons

New release...
Blurb:
The old house is just a skeleton; its bare timbers and broken windows are no protection from the elements.

While 12-year-old Magda follows Sport into this derelict house and uncovers its deepest secrets, her pal Brent is falsely accused and in trouble with the law. He hides out to avoid serious consequences, but dire results leave him at death's door. Will Magda rescue him in time? Will she find the sinister culprits who have robbed ancient Tsartlip artefacts? Will she solve the terrible secret of the Haunted House?

This exciting novel for young readers, set on Mayne Island, is available now.

Amber Harvey's web site
Amber Harvey's blog

8 comments:

creativepotager said...

Oh Leanne I see you have our esteemed Mayne Island Amber Harvey as a guest today.

Amber, I have read two out of the three of these books and loved them. The last one is still on my wishlist.

I remember my mother reading my books when I was a teenager and I thought it was odd. Why would she want to read about a teenage girl and her horse?

Now I understand. We can revisit our youth through these stories. Amber you offer a gem of a story for young and older alike.

It is such a pleasure to claim you as one of our own on this small island off the Pacific West Coast of Canada.

holessence said...

Amber - What a delightful read! I find your muse especially appealing:

"I'm inspired by life and its challenges, especially those faced by young people."

Great to learn about you here today!

Author Leanne Dyck said...

(Sticking my nose in) Thank you so much for your comments, Terrill and Laurie.
Warm (island) hugs to both of you.

treewithroots said...

Hi Leanne. I'm so happy to see that you've featured my book and my writing today.
Thank you both to creativepotager and to holessence for your warm comments. It's gratifying to know that my words are enjoyed by others. Your appreciation is so encouraging.

Author Leanne Dyck said...

You're most welcome. I enjoyed having you visit.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Finally I got a blog from where I know how to in fact
obtain valuable data regarding my study and knowledge.
My page : discount coupons For kohls

Anonymous said...

I blog frequently and I genuinely thank you for your content.
The article has truly peaked my interest. I will book mark your website and keep checking for
new information about once a week. I opted in for your RSS
feed as well.
Feel free to visit my page :: kohls-printable-coupons.net

Anonymous said...

whoah this blog is fantastic i love reading your articles. Stay up
the good work! You recognize, lots of individuals are
hunting round for this information, you could aid
them greatly.
Here is my web page : Kohls online coupons 30 off